May 25, 2015

celebrating imperfection

Kenny Two Feathers a Penobscot Elder and friend told me 
nothing is perfect.
Makes life so much easier when one does not have to achieve perfection or can't.

I find I relish imperfection and celebrate it.  
Many suffer trying to reach it. How sad.
What a waste of time and energy.

If an assembly line turns out thousands of "perfect" same things, 
how boring.  
AND You end up with something that looks like everyone elses. 
how boring. 

My first vase not so perfect.

I love its imperfection and it is anything but boring!



Second vase

my third creation



and number 4


Imperfection

I am falling in love
with my imperfections
The way I never get the sink really clean,
forget to check my oil,
lose my car in parking lots,
miss appointments I have written down,
am just a little late.

I am learning to love
the small bumps on my face
the big bump of my nose,
my hairless scalp,
chipped nail polish,
toes that overlap.
Learning to love
the open-ended mystery
of not knowing why
I am learning to fail
to make lists,
use my time wisely,
read the books I should.
Instead I practice inconsistency,
irrationality, forgetfulness.

Probably I should
hang my clothes neatly in the closet
all the shirts together, then the pants,
send Christmas cards,
or better yet
a letter telling of
my perfect family

But I’d rather waste time
listening to the rain,
or lying underneath my cat
learning to purr.
-by Elizabeth Carlson