June 18, 2019

we are born and grow into our talents

 Nature is all around us and it thrills me and sometimes saddens me.  I wish it was something that I had learned at someone's knee and knew.  I am self taught and really kind of lost.  I know more than many, but not a great deal.  Are all the names important?  What I know is that nature has changed dramatically over the years.  It is so around us that you can't miss it.  More winds, more ticks, less birds, butterflies are just a little piece of the changing world here in our space.





This week birds would be the theme.  First I found a intact bird's nest which had been on a light on the garage, but had fallen.  I took it photographed it and put in on a planter attached to the garage.  It disappeared I thought.  I decided maybe it had slipped into the planter and it had AND a bird laid an egg in it.  No sign of birds.  Abandoned.  Probably best.  Not an easy place or safe.


Then Woodpecker ran into LR window the other day when Shunka and I were sitting out.  The bird damn near fell on the dog.  Shunka paid no attention to stunned bird.  I got gloves after looking at that beak.  Picked him up and took him down into the garden planning to put him on the ground.  He had a hold on the gloves and wasn't leaving so I sat on a rock and waited for him to pull himself together.  Took about 15 minutes when he took a deep breath and flew off. Nothing quite so neat as being that close to the wild.

And last I found a dead hummingbird which had also crashed into the LR window.  So small, so beautiful and so dead.  I placed it in the garden under flowers.  May it rest in peace.