March 2, 2013

not invited?

When I was a young age, and I am not sure that age 8, 9ish something happened in my world that shaped me.  I lived in a good neighborhood and my best friend lived across the street.  We played together and we were carpooled to school as we went to schools near each other, but not the same schools.  We had always shared birthdays, all the birthdays.  Yet on this birthday, my friend didn't share.  It was her birthday and others were arriving.  I went across the street and the door opened and my friend's mother came out and told me that this was a party for my friend's school friends and I was not invited.  She closed the door.  Closed the door and left me confused and alone standing on the porch, not invited. I remember walking back across the street.  
To this day it still hurts and yes "don't take things personally", but  - I am young and a best friend does not want me at her birthday party .... ? because we don't go to the same school? We couldn't find a place for me at the table to meet her school friends?  I am there, dressed up and not invited in?  

This was the hugest, biggest lesson in my life.   let me tell you no one will ever not be welcomed in my space.  I will not shut the door.   No one will ever suffer the hurt of not being "invited"   Not having the door opened.  People makes choices every day to be kind, to open doors or to shut doors. 
 I  remember that day.  I can picture the street, the porch, the trees, and Mrs. Penn saying this is a party for Susan's school friends